Tuesday, November 9, 2010

In Honor of Squash...

Fall picks from the Grover's Growers this week: Butternut and Spaghetti Squash


Last year I made a feeble attempt at Curried Butternut Squash Soup with one of my mother in laws left over squashes. The soup just turned out okay, so this year I was determined to make an improvement. One of my favorite little boutique restaurants in Salem, The Wild Pear, has thee best Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup...I mean, it is deliciously flavorful ,decadently smooth, simply amazing. I look forward to its arrival on their menu every year, but now that we live to far away to indulge in it as often as I'd like to.....I attempted to make my own and was thrilled with the finish product! It turned out DELICIOUS! In fact, I may need to make more already because we have already gone through the portion I froze too!

Heres the recipe I used: Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup



Next up was the spaghetti squash. I have heard so many people rave about it, so I decided to try to figure out what all the hype was about.





Spaghetti Squash review:
-Very fun to bake and peel the strings apart
-Loved the sweet taste of the squash by itself -Not a huge fan of the marinara-beef spaghetti squash recipe I used, but it was SUPER filling. --Looking forward to trying more variations of it. Any suggestions?

I also used the left over squash to make some morning muffins with walnuts, cinnamon, and ginger. They were really moist and filling, but I thought kind of lacking for flavor (Geoff tore through them, so I guess he had a different opinion).


On a kind of random note: POPCORN!!!!


I found a popcorn popper for $2 while thrift shopping with Grandma this week, and I had to buy it because Geoff LOVES popcorn and hasn't had it since we gave up the microwave in April.


Home popped popcorn+Johnny's seasoning+Amazing Race Episodes on CBS.com=A Very Happy Husband (and Thunder...and Shayla :)




Right before Thunder stuck his face in the popcorn bowl and then slobbered Geoff's face when he scolded him! :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I just stumbled onto your blog. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I love reading your blog from Bri's page, but I wasn't sure if you remembered me so I hadn't added it! Now I won't feel like a stalker to add yours!:) You are doing an incredible job with all your photography...They are precious!

    ReplyDelete